Saturday 7 March 2009

Perception....

What is perception...?
Psychological Definition:
Perception is the process of attaining awareness or understanding of sensory information.

So, judging by the above statement, perception is how we see things, how we view the world and the people in it.

This makes me believe that we only perceive the world and the people with our eyes?
Am I correct? Lets explore...



Answer me this question: How do you perceive yourself?

What do you see when you look in the mirror?
Is this perception?
Is this the way the world views you, by the way you look?


Shouldn't perception of a person be based on their actions, their beliefs and their heart.
What do you see when you look into your heart?


Now answer me this: What is the true meaning of perception?



What about peoples perception over time...?

I often wonder, how today or yesterday will look in over a thousand years.

What they would say about our history, Would our great empire fall to dust like many others before it? What kind of system of law would they have compared to ours?

Have we done anything that would make our era stand out, both bad or good. Is there hope in the knowledge that you may have made a mark on this world strong enough to keep the era alive, your voice forever imprinted in the future.

In thousands of years, will they care about the way you looked, or what you wore?
Or will they care about the things you did and said?



Perception of people should not be based on how they look.
Does their hair look pretty, is she wearing just a little bit too much make-up?

Why is the world obsessed with looking beautiful?


Shouldn't we be concentrating more on the way we run our lives, the choices that we make and the people we may affect, now and forever into the future.

I believe perception to be the actions someone decides to take, and the decisions that they decide to make.

Do I have to do my hair everyday to show the world that I am a great person? NO
Do I have to wear the right amount of make-up and perfume everyday to show the world I am worthy? NO
Do I have to watch what I eat for fear of judged in a way nobody should be judged? NO



In the end, does the belief in perception really matter?

No matter how many times I writes these words, and try and convince you that it's what is in your heart that counts - you will still feel the need to look beautiful and to be popular - don't worry I do it too.

People SEE you for who you are, before they get inside your head - and unfortunately that is the way the world is going to role for a very long time....

Just do me one thing,
The next time you put on your make-up or you do your hair....ask yourself this question:

Would I be any less great, if I didn't do this?
Would my day be any less great, if I didn't do this?


Chances are, you have answered no to the above questions.



Just think about how people will perceive you in a thousand years, how do you want to be remembered:

Because you had nice hair, or

Because you changed the world?


Dare to be something great, something you will be remembered for!


Bye guys,
Sue

6 comments:

  1. you make some excellent points here Sue. i really liked this. makes you question the world and what each of us stands for. very nice job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will quote my last post with a quote from the book 'The Little Prince', "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." . And we sometimes forget this, because of the world, because of the society, because of us...
    Sue, You made an excellent point, I'm ok with you, the good question is not what you look like? Loved the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was amazing to read Sue. You definitely have a gift with words.
    I agree with Becca... it really does make you question what we truly stand for.

    Thanks for sharing your writing with us. I love seeing your passion in it.
    Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, I have to ask you how you knew to write this exactly when I needed to see something like this. Without boring you with all the boring details.. my mom is a very vain person and has been upset with me over the past two years because I wasnt perfect physically. This makes me very self conscious but I have tried to stand up for something different and realize that I am who I am no matter what the scale says and so forth.. but today I am getting ready for a wedding shower for a girl I graduated with. I have changed clothes 200 times worried about what I looked like... and I sit down to write and check in and I see this.
    Thank you for sharing this and for somehow knowing that someone out there needed to hear these words today of all days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *thud* You kill me with your blogs, Sue lol

    But I agree with what you say.
    The world has gone mad, everyone is just obsessed with how they look.

    Kinda sad!

    Em.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is an amazing post. If only more people would take this to heart and realize that beauty is skin deep. Loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete