Wednesday 4 March 2009

Thoughts about language....

How many times you thought about one of your thoughts and became so thoughtful that there was no other thought to think?


It happens to many everyday. Life is all about observation. We learn by observing our surroundings and everything we can reach at any given point in time. We reserve those observations as memory and thoughts which can be used later in our life.


I never told you. I am a philosopher [in my own right and unique like any other individual] and a poet and a person who can prove that I am also someone who is illogical all the time and can make anyone go wild. I am still trying to figure out how to do that. I have been thinking for a long time and so are you. This is nothing big and not so important. However I extol the energy of my brain which gets used up thinking about thoughts which really have no relevance in real life.
Let me tell you why?


Did you ever think about bald people. Can they have Hairline fractures?
I am yet to figure out the difference between a novel and a book.
How old are you before it can be said you died of old age?
Why is it when we laugh in school the teachers say do you find something funny (It happens all the time)? When obviously we do?
If nobody buys a ticket to a movie do they still show it?
If someone owns a piece of land, do they own it all the way to the center of the earth (and above it too, How much above)?
If humans evolved from monkey's/apes, why are they still here?
Why do we say things like “What is your good name”? Do we consider our name bad or individuals have 2 names, is one of them bad?
Have you ever wondered why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?
Do penguins have knees?
Why is it written "May contain traces of peanuts or other kind of nuts" on peanut butter jars. Are people stupid enough not to realize it themselves? May be they are. Again I am not sure...

However for me the biggest question lies in the Great Wall. Why is it called the People's Republic Of China when China's not a republic?

Mystery! Mystery! Mystery!

Are you finding this cool or hot? Now tell me Why do "cool" and "hot" mean the same thing?
Let’s have few more.

Does a baby feel the umbilical cord being cut off? What would have happened if he feels?
I want to name my son/daughter “Anonymous”. Is it legal to name your kid "Anonymous"?
I want to go to South Pole but I also want to dig a hole there. If you dig a hole in the South Pole are you digging up or down?
Would a fly without wings be called a walk?
I have seen a building being built. Why is it called a "building" when it is already built?
Why is it that when you're driving and looking for an address, you turn down the volume on the radio? Why? Why? Why?


Let's take a while to think about the English Language:

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why it is that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?
If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth?
If you have one goose, two geese, why not one moose, two meese, or one index, two indices?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend, or that you can comb through the annals of history but not a single annal? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what other language do people ship by truck and send cargo by ship and have noses that run and feet that smell.

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and wise guy are opposites, and quite a lot and quite a few are alike? How can the weather be hot as hell one day and cold as hell another?

Have you noticed that we talk about certain things only when they are absent? Have you ever seen a horsefull carriage or a strapfull gown; met a sung hero or experienced requited love; have you ever run into someone who was combobulated, gruntled, or peccable?

And where are all those people who ARE spring chickens or who would ACTUALLY hurt a fly?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm clock goes off by going on......

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race (which of course, isn't a race at all). That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when they lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I windup this post, I end it?

I could go on, but instead

Think about how many times you thought about one of your thoughts and became so thoughtful that there was no other thought to think?


Bye guys,
Sue

7 comments:

  1. Is the Great Wall still great, even though only about 20% of it is still there? What is 20% of great? The Slightly OK Wall?

    -j

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that my brain hurts...jk
    no really, this was a really interesting thought. I have often though some of those things as well, especially about the english language. So confusing.
    When I was reading what you said about the plural of moose isn't meese I laughed. I don't know if you have ever heard of the comedian Brian Regan but he goes into that and its hilarious.
    ... anyways, good deep thoughts for the day.
    thanks for sharing!

    raquel
    p.s. i wonder what fun word verification i will get when i post this comment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I have a headache from reading this blog but you gave me so much to think about.

    This might be one of the most thought provoking posts I have read in a while.

    AWESOME!!!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Sue... I used my dictionary to understand some words, but I think I finally catch it. Your brain seems an amazing tool, girl... We have some padoxes in spanish too, I think that makes a language more interesting (and funny).
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, my brain doesn't hurt, but I am so glad that I am not the only person in this world that thinks about stuff like this!!!! i think about it all the time!!! Thanks for the insight! And P.s. thanks for inspiring me to Vlog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all tend to explain, comment on, or even assess a topic of study in an oral or mostly written form at many universities we study in from time to time. We may hire from papersmart book review writers that would be a reasonable issue for the next couple of decades, i'm sure of it. Our educational system is generally influenced by all fields of social life as well as politics and science. But luckily high-technologies are getting more sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can write a dissertation with the help of online services of writing. I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.

    ReplyDelete